You know when it’s midnight and you’re still fully awake and you wanna eat something even though you’re not hungry but you feel that you absolutely have to eat something sweet and then you realise that it’s not so healthy to eat at midnight and then you think of eating fruit cos although it’s less healthy than eating nothing at midnight, it’s healthier than eating a meal or something at midnight and because you genuinely love fruit but you really don’t want to just eat a whole fruit cos that’s a boring thing to do at midnight.
Then you stop for a moment and think you could do with a fruity drink then you look around but all you’ve got in the kitchen is Diet Coke and bottles of Dandelion & Burdock fizzy drinks. You dolphinately can’t have that at midnight. Then your mind wanders back to the fruit and all the fruity goodness and how it’s so much more suited to midnight cravings so you pick out a couple of fruit and do your magic. You know? Just me?
I never really thought about using grapefruit and lemon together, probably cos they’re so obvious and citrusly close together. I mean they’re not extremities like peanut butter and jelly or watermelon and feta. Sometimes you realise we don’t think IN the box enough, we try to hard to be innovative and we don’t see that something so beautiful can be made from the simplest of things.
Here’s to simplicity!
You will need:
- 1 lemon, rind and juice
- 1 large grapefruit, juiced
- A chunk of ginger (see picture below), peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lemon liqueur
- 1 cup of water
- Handful of ice block
- 1 tsp of icing sugar
You need to:
- Grate the lemon and ginger then use a large knife to chop even more finely. Add the icing sugar to ‘thicken’ the grated mixture and to bring the flavours alive.
- Juice the lemon and grapefruit and add to the grated lemon rind and ginger
- Add the honey and lemon liqueur
- Add the water and ice block and blend.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy the fresh taste of cocktail a la Aisha.
Ps. You could use the rimming (heeey!) method from my watermelon post below.
What’s your midnight snacking guilty pleasure?